6 June 2013, Washington, D.C.: More than 200 representatives of the ocean business community and other ocean stakeholders gathered at the Sustainable Ocean Summit (SOS) in Washington, D.C. from April 22-24. Organized by the World Ocean Council (WOC), the SOS is the only international ocean business community gathering dedicated to industry leadership and collaboration in developing solutions to ocean sustainability challenges.
Based on the targeted SOS 2013 sessions, the WOC is advancing industry action on the following priorities through international, multi-sectoral working groups:
- Smart Ocean/Smart Industries: Scaling-Up Data Collecting by Industry
- Arctic Challenges and Opportunities for Responsible Industries
- Ocean Policy and Ocean Industries in International Waters
- Marine Spatial Planning
- Sound and the Marine Environment
- BioFouling and Invasive Species
- Port Reception Facilities
SOS 2013 brought together a wide range of ocean industries, including: shipping, oil and gas, fisheries, aquaculture, tourism, renewable energy, mining, ports, dredging, cables, pipelines, the maritime legal, financial and insurance communities, and many other ocean industries. 92 per cent of participant reports stated that SOS 2013 met or exceeded their expectations.
Interviews with key SOS 2013 speakers and participants can be viewed online (Adobe Flash Player required).
– 30 –