DRAFT Event Scenario
Title: Blue Economy Deep Dive
When: Tuesday, July 26 (12:30pm – 3:00pm)
Where: Delta Hotel and Conference Centre
● OceansAdvance members, local community
● Newfoundland ocean technology and environmental companies
● Innovate Canada attendees
○ Qualified international C-suite executives from environmental and tech
companies with oceans focus
○ Team Canada Partners + Regional ocean experts
○ Media: Technology + Science Trade writers (eg: Marine Technology Society
○ Media: Business General (eg: The Times)
(Internal) Why: Grow global awareness of Canada’s excellence in Oceans Sciences by sharing the diverse perspectives and knowledge of Canadian thought leaders across economic development, research and innovation, diversity, and government. Following the session, attendees will be left with a robust picture of Canada’s ocean sector strength as well as its value proposition as a premier host for business events.
With so much coastline, it should be no surprise that Canada’s ocean sciences sector has a rich history of innovation and leadership in the blue economy. On Tuesday, July 26th
OceansAdvance, Newfoundland and Labrador’s ocean technology cluster organisation, will
bring together a broad cross-section of the world’s ocean community, from businesses to
researchers, and government to discuss Canada’s history of ocean science innovation and the ways in which it continues to lead the blue economy, globally.
The luncheon will feature a Keynote from Steven Adler, CEO and Founder of The Ocean Data Alliance, and will be followed by a panel moderated by The Economist Group’s, Tatiana Der Avedissian, Head of Business Development, with global ocean’s experts.
This event coincides with Innovate Canada, organized by Destination Canada along with local hosts the City of St. John’s and Destination St. John’s. Innovate Canada showcases the ground-breaking work taking place across Canada’s oceans industry to position Canada as a host for future international conferences and events, and investment.
MC: Shelly Petten, Kraken-PanGeo and OceansAdvance
Keynote: Steven Adler, CEO, Ocean Data Alliance
- Steven Adler, CEO, Ocean Data Alliance
○ Steven Adler is Chairman of the Ocean Data Alliance, which is a leadership forum dedicated to Open Ocean Data Solutions. A veteran of the IT industry, Steven was IBM’s Chief Data Strategist, and a well-known thought leader and spokesperson on Data Governance, Smart Cities, and Open Data. Steven is a past member of the US Commerce Department Data Advisory Council, New York Civil Liberties Union Board, and IBM Academy of Technology Leadership Team. He has received two US President Volunteer Service Awards and has 4 patents in Data Privacy and Artificial Intelligence. He taught Data Governance and Open Data at NYU Stern School of Business, Bucerius Law School, and Copenhagen University.
- Richard V. Lawson, CEO of the International Ocean Science and Technology Industry Association (IOSTIA)
○ Richard V. Lawson serves as the CEO of IOSTIA and as a member of the founding committee he served as a catalyst and provided the vision to gather the Founding Members and launch IOSTIA. Richard also serves as Managing Partner at Association ROI and President of Lawson Association Consulting where he provided C-Level consulting to trade associations and non-profit organizations. Prior to Association ROI, Lawson was the Executive Director of The Marine Technology Society, a position he held for eight years where he oversaw all aspects of the organization. Lawson’s 25 plus years of expertise covers strategic planning, membership and program development, international strategy and execution and Board relations.
- Cathy Hogan, Executive Director of OceansAdvance
○ Cathy Hogan is the Executive Director of OceansAdvance – the NL ocean technology cluster, a role she has held since February 2017. Since that time Cathy has worked diligently to raise the profile of the organization’s membership on Regional, National and International stages through her work with the Atlantic Trade and Investment Growth Strategy, the Ocean Technology Alliance of Canada (OTAC) and the Blue Tech Cluster Alliance (BTCA). She currently Co-Chairs the Ocean Technology Sector Group for ATIGA, is the Secretary for the Ocean Technology Alliance of Canada and is a member of Canada’s Ocean Supercluster Innovation Ecosystem Working Group.
○ Prior to joining OceansAdvance, Cathy worked for several Federal agencies that supported product research and development and financial and program 2 assistance to SME’s.
○ Cathy is a native of St. John’s and attended Memorial University of Newfoundland. She and her fiancé Stewart share homes in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and they have 5 grandchildren who bring great joy and happiness to their lives.
- Bill Staby, Co-Founder and Director of Resolute Marine Energy
○ Bill Staby is co-founder and Director of Boston-based Resolute Marine Energy which is developing technologies that harness ocean wave energy to provide water and electricity for off-grid communities in developing countries and islands. Resolute currently has projects under development in two countries on the African continent. Bill serves on the boards of the World Ocean Council and the Caribbean Desalination Association, and he leads the U.S. delegation to IEC TC-114 in Geneva, Switzerland where he assists in the development of international standards and certification protocols for the marine renewable energy industry.