connect. engage. advance.
OceansAdvance is your connection point to the ocean technology
innovation ecosystem in Newfoundland and Labrador
Marine Institute - (Fisheries and Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland)
Located in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, at the edge of the North Atlantic Ocean, the Fisheries and Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland was established in 1964 and has grown to become the most comprehensive oceans institute in North America.
A prominent campus of the University, the Marine Institute combines world-class facilities, strong educational programs, and highly qualified people to pursue its vision of being a world oceans institute, ever advancing its global reputation for ocean excellence.
It’s a reputation supported by three schools and seven industrial training and applied research centres that link teaching and learning, research and creative activity with the needs and opportunities of students, alumni and industry partners.
The Institute’s leading researchers and technical personnel champion a relational approach and a results-oriented culture to deliver innovative, industry driven solutions. MI’s research is practical, applied and hands-on. The Institute is about solving problems through science, technology, and innovation, on a global scale. Faculty and staff foster student and alumni success and ensure the growth and development of the Institute’s academic programs.
The Institute’s primary areas of focus in research and education include:
- Marine simulation and training
- Ice management simulation
- Safety and survival simulation, training and research
- Ocean observation and monitoring
- Ocean mapping
- Underwater vehicles
- Global fisheries sustainability
- Fisheries science and technology
- Climate change strategies
- Fisheries by-products utilization
Ocean Technology Markets: All
Additional key products include:
- Technology transfer
Additional core capabilities include:
- Offshore safety and survival training
- Sustainable fisheries research and development
- Ocean instrumentation
- Fisheries ecosystems research
- Fisheries production diversification and value addition
- Maritime operations education