You are invited by the Marine Institute to join us at the Holyrood Marine Base for our Community Open House to experience our training and research activities:
- Pilot our Remotely Operated Vehicle
- Explore our interactive exhibits and displays
- Visit our touch tank
- Watch our Offshore Safety and Survival Centre demonstrations
- See how we map the oceans, perform fisheries science, and provide real-time weather and ocean conditions for Holyrood and Placentia Bay and
- Join in our MI Ocean Net beach cleanup and be there as we adopt Holyrood Beach.
We’ll also have face painting, musical entertainment, prizes and a barbecue.
Schedule of Events
10:00 am – Opening
10:00 am – 12:00 pm Demonstrations and Activities
11:00 am – 12:30 pm MI Ocean Net Beach Clean up
12:00 pm – 2:00 pm Barbecue
1:00 pm – 3:00 pm Demonstrations and Activities
The Fisheries and Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland is Canada’s biggest and most comprehensive post-secondary institute dedicated to education, training, applied research and industrial support for the oceans industries.
Join our Friends of Beaches – Holyrood Chapter!
On July 28, the Marine Institute is adopting Holyrood Beach! MI Ocean Net is organizing a Friends of Beaches chapter in your community. Join us in a ceremony at 11 am as we officially adopt Holyrood as our coastal community and then take part in a beach clean up!
MI Ocean Net has a network of volunteers across NL who are committed to helping people like you cleaning up the beaches you love and care for our precious marine ecosystem!
Together, here’s what we’ve accomplished:
- 2,227 youth and community members in 28 communities have volunteered their time and energy
- 104 beaches, shorelines, and underwater areas have been returned to a pristine state
- 1,595 bags of debris and large items have been collected totalling over 20,000 lbs of garbage!
Lend a hand! Be creative! Have fun with people who care as much as you do!